Waaaaittt!! After you wash out your slow cooker from your Super Bowl potluck, don’t put it away! I want to share with you a super easy and healing bone broth recipe from my new book Living Wellness for Growth Groups (p. 227).
What’s bone broth? Bone broth is broth make from slow cooking chicken, beef, pork, venison, or turkey bones with a few other ingredients you likely have in your kitchen. Slow cooking extracts the amazing vitamins, minerals, and gelatin from the animal bones and releases them into the broth leaving you with an immune boosting broth. This broth is delicious by the mug or in place of traditional broth or stock in a variety of recipes.
Share in the comments below your favorite ways to use bone broth and any other ingredients you like to add!
Bone Broth Recipe
Recipe from Kelley Suggs, CHES, founder of Lithe Wellness Solutions (Shared with permission)
- Bones of 1 chicken or turkey, or soup pack of beef bones, or venison or other wild
- Leftover trimmings from carrots, onions, celery, and garlic
- 2 tablespoons of acidic medium, such as vinegar, whey, or lemon juice
- Enough water to cover
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- Spices and herbs to flavor it to satisfy your taste buds. Good combinations include
2–3 sprigs fresh or 2 teaspoons dried parsley, thyme, and dill and two cloves of garlic.
- Place all ingredients in the slow cooker, cover with water, and cook on low for 24–48
hours. Add additional water if necessary.
- Cook until you can sink the nail of your thumb into a bone. Strain out all the solid
pieces and throw them away.
- Use within a week or freeze in 2-cup increments.
Why is bone broth so amazing? Its a powerhouse of nutrition; easy to digest; full of gelatin, vitamins, and minerals; no chemicals; and no MSG.
Quick tip: Once your bone broth is completely cooled, spoon the broth into ice cube trays for easy access on those days when you need a little pick-me-up or feel a cold coming on.
Don’t forget to share in the comments below your favorite ways to use bone broth and any other ingredients you like to add!
You are worth more than mediocre. You are worth exceptional health!
© 2017 Living Wellness, LLC Revolutionizing health, one community at a time.
Disclaimer: This article is not intended to diagnose or treat any illnesses or disease. Please always check with your doctor before beginning any new nutritional or fitness program or before making any nutritional/fitness changes.