If you haven’t looked at the weather for this week, let me quickly summarize it for you: it’s going to be cold and snowy. Have no fear! Our hearty and soul-warming chili will chase away those winter chills.
Ashley’s EASY Soul-Warming Chili (Slow Cooker)
Prep Time: 45 mins, plus 2 to 8 hours in the slow cooker
For the chili:
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 medium yellow onions, medium dice
• 1 medium organic red bell pepper, medium dice
• 6 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1/4 cup chili powder
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
• 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
• 1 1/2 teaspoons mineral salt, plus more as needed
• 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
• 1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
• 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
• (Optional) 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pickled jalapeños or green chiles, drained
For serving (Optional):
• Shredded cheddar cheese
• Thinly sliced scallions
• Sour cream
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions and bell pepper, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes.
Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin, stir to coat the vegetables, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the ground beef and measured salt and cook, breaking the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until the beef is no longer pink, about 7 minutes.
Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker, add the diced tomatoes and their juices, tomato sauce, and beans, and stir to combine. Cover and cook until the chili thickens and the flavors meld, about 8 hours on low or 2-6 hours on high. (If I don’t start the chili in the morning, I have had mine in the slow cooker for just 2 hours on high—despite the slower cooking time, the flavor was still GREAT!)
Stir in the jalapeños or green chiles. Taste and season with salt as needed, and serve with the cheese, scallions, and sour cream. Enjoy!
You are worth more than mediocre. You are worth exceptional health!
© 2017 Living Wellness, LLC Revolutionizing health, one community at a time.
Disclaimer: This article is not intended to diagnose or treat any illnesses or disease. Please always check with your doctor before beginning any new nutritional or fitness program or before making any nutritional/fitness changes.